Wednesday, May 14, 2008

J'adore Insulators!

Goodness it's been a long time since I've blogged! But I just graduated college and frankly my apartment and the things in it have been the last things on my mind. But I'm back because I received a fabulous graduation gift this evening that I can't wait to put on display in my new apartment.

I'm a big fan of antique telephone pole insulators. They are really interesting and pretty knick-knacks to put on bookshelves, in windows, or of course, in fishbowls (Whatever Fish You Wish). Up until tonight, I had only seen small ones, which range from about 4 to 5 inches high and are about 3 inches across.

But my friend Kristen gave me a giant telephone pole insulator! She said she bought it at an antique store in Sheridan, Wyoming. It is about 7 inches tall and 10 inches across. Instead of being made of colored glass, it is a beautiful dark blue, glazed ceramic.

I'm not sure how old it is or where it's from. It has a mark on the top: a "W" with a line underneath it, inside a circle. There is another mark on the bottom: "1 13" followed by another number I can't make out. I'm going to try to find out what they mean.

I think it would look really great in a garden, but I'm going to be moving into a second story apartment, so that's not really an option. Instead, since it weighs about 5 pounds, I think I might use it for a doorstop. It's definitely not something you see everyday, and I think the colors will match really nicely with my furniture, artwork, etc.

Maybe this is the beginning of a fun collection!

No comments: